Friday, 10 October 2014

Pre-reflections Theme 6

I have chosen the paper "Facebook and Online Privacy: Attitudes, Behaviors, and Unintended Consequences" from the journal of Computer-Mediated Communication with an impact factor of 2.019.
Which qualitative method or methods are used in the paper? Which are the benefits and limitations of using these methods? 
The qualitative method used in this paper based on the ‘open-ended in-depth face-to-face interviews’. In which they conducted an online survey that was administered to 119 college undergraduates, then eight participants (two male, six female) from the online survey respondent pool were selected for open-ended in-depth face-to-face interviews. The selected participants received a written explanation of the research objectives and ethics before signing a consent form. The interviews were recorded and analyzed through a combination of qualitative content analysis, typological reduction analysis, and rhetorical interpretation. This type of qualitative analysis is particularly fruitful when dealing with a novel field that is not yet structured and requires preliminary understanding. Also as they sent written explanation to participants before interviews, so participants will come up with some research and analysis so interviewer can get different point of views, or interviewer might get some additional information which can be beneficial in research. In this paper, through qualitative analysis interviewer gain deeper insight into attitudes and behaviors with respect to Facebook use and privacy issues, narratives related to the relevance, attraction, and usage of Facebook, and experiences about invasion of privacy on Facebook.
What did you learn about qualitative methods from reading the paper?
I think the same concept which I already have about qualitative methods. But I liked the way as they categorized their research, first reduction of the material and the inductive development of analytical categories from it and, in a second step, the deductive application of categories to interpret the data. I think in this way, you can gain deeper understanding of actual research question and reduce the irrelevant data.
Which are the main methodological problems of the study? How could the use of the qualitative method or methods have been improved?
It is difficult to find methodological problems in this study, they used both qualitative and quantitative methods very well. But the only problem I would say, how they chose only 8 people for in-depth interviews from 119 participants. I also think that they just conducted survey in one university so it might be difficult to generalize or conclude the result based on 119 people of same university.

Part 2:

I have chosen the paper "Social media competitive analysis and text mining: A case study in the pizza industry" from the ‘International Journal of Information Management’.
Briefly explain to a first year university student what a case study is.

 A case study is an in depth study of a particular situation rather than a sweeping statistical survey. It is a method used to narrow down a very broad field of research into one easily research-able topic. While it will not answer a question completely, it will give some indications and allow further elaboration and hypothesis creation on a subject. Case studies should not be confused with qualitative research and they can be based on any mix of quantitative and qualitative evidence.

Use the "Process of Building Theory from Case Study Research" (Eisenhardt, summarized in Table 1) to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of your selected paper.

Step 1: This study came up with three research questions in the beginning, which is plus point according to table.
Step 2: This study examined the social media sites of the three largest pizza chains, so yes they are not using random sampling.
Step 3: First, this study collected quantitative data manually from their individual social media sites such as number of fans/followers, number of postings, comments, shares and likes, frequency of posting. Secondly, applied text mining to analyze the text messages posted on their Facebook and Twitter sites in order to discover new knowledge and patterns, and to acquire a deeper understanding of how the three pizza chains are using social media in practice. So they used multiple collection methods which is strength of this study.
Step 4: I think they didn't use overlap data collection. They just analyzed the data which they got from surveys.
Step 5:  I think they didn't use cross-case pattern search, using divergent techniques, I think they should also look for different strategies of companies.
Step 6: This study used tabulation or graphs to analyze the questions about each company. But they didn't shape their research questions and not used any logic cross cases.
Step 7: They didn't compare their study with any other study. They just compared three largest chains of pizza which is not good. I think they should also have a look on smaller pizza’s companies.
Step 8: Yes, I think they reached to closure very well. They came up with some recommendations as well, such as a business can compare its social media data to the social media data of their competitors to gain perspective on their performance. In the end, they also came up with some future research areas related to this case study.



No comments:

Post a Comment