In this seminar we discussed questions in some different way, this discussion was more about advantages and disadvantages of quantitative and qualitative methods and the techniques used for these methods. This seminar was really interesting as we discussed questions in teams and made scores just like a game, which enabled me to think more about these questions and understand the concepts deeply.
I used these methods many times in my previous projects but after this seminar I actually understood these methods. The first question was about advantages of qualitative research, which compromises the individual thoughts and experiences. which provides information in depth and comprehensive, sometimes you might get feedback from participant you have not asked for but it is time consuming. On the other hand, quantitative research is less time consuming and capture large number of participants in easier and cheaper way. The result is usually in numbers which is easy to present in statistical way. You can also use software to compile data and present it by using formula and graphs. But output is usually in numerical form so it cannot explain the phenomena, mostly used to test hypothesis.
The second question was about disadvantages and advantages of web questionnaire vs paper questionnaire.
- web questionnaire can face some technical problems, for example may be data is not saved correctly due to technical issue or data can be hacked. distribution through email might end up with spam folder or sometimes people just don't take it seriously. But advantages are, more environment friendly and allows participants to answer according to their schedule. It stores data automatically.
- Paper questionnaire requires more responsibility, and you have to compile data manually. It could be time consuming as after getting results you have to convert data in digital form. The printing or large questionnaires might be expensive. But sometimes it is faster and easy to get feedback in physical environment.
I think your reflection reminds me that technical problems can also be a disadvantages of web questionnaire. With my experience, to create a web questionnaire, it is also need to consider the input validation, so I think web questionnaire also requires some web programming knowledge.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your reflections. I'm not sure if I understand why you think qualitative methods are simpler. There are so many uncertainty factors. What's the point of getting large quantities of data if you cannot validate it?
ReplyDeleteLeif
Thanks for your attention. In my reflection I doesn't mean that qualitative methods are simpler but may be I could not express my reflections well. I understood that qualitative methods are more complex as they explain phenomena from every perspective, which needs more advance research and expert's opinions. So it is time consuming but explains things more deeply and comprehensively.
Delete