The second theme was quiet good, but texts were not
easy to understand as in first theme. Also these texts were connected with
previous texts as the core concept was similar. I prepared for theme two by
writing pre-reflection in my learning portfolio for which I have read two
texts, ‘Walter Benjamin's essay "The
Work of Art in the Age of Technical Reproductivity" (1936)’ and ‘Adorno
och Horkheimer’s Dialectic of Enlightenment (1944) (chapters "The Concept
of Enlightenment" and "The Culture Industry: Enlightenment as Mass
Deception")’. Then I answered some questions related to these texts. By answering the
questions I understood the core concept of authors that how art and culture has
revolutionary potentials and evolve in our society.
Johan did
a good job in lecture as he explained these philosophies with the help of
interesting examples. Also he discussed the historical background and personal
life of authors that enabled me to think about their concepts in a different
way. He discussed some new terms as well such as ‘Futurism’ and ‘Fascism’, then
explained these terms in different cultures like Italian and German fascism.
Another interesting question we discussed, ‘’What is the role of culture in
society?’ As I understood, culture preserves knowledge and helps its
transmission from generation to generation which is essential for physical and
intellectual existence of human beings.
In seminar
we discussed Benjamin’s and Adorno & Horkheimer’s philosophies further, we
talked a lot about nominalism, and also nominalism vs realism. As we shape
society based on the illogical things or historical culture (perception based
on past knowledge and experiences) but if we investigate it further so we just
stuck about these concepts. However, we grasp these concepts in depth. We also
did an interesting activity during seminar, we divided in smaller groups of 4
members and answered some additional questions. In which we discussed the
connection between enlightenment and culture industry and how culture deceive
us, here we talked about American mass media (as Benjamin was American) which
makes people passive and happy slaves, for example it gives the idea to people
that ‘only way you can climb society is winning money and be settled.’ We also
talked a lot about revolutionary potentials with the help of new technologies.
The
seminar gave me more insight about the texts and clearer understanding about
dialectic of enlightenment. As Johan described enlightenment in two ways: one
way it gives more knowledge but the other way it removes old knowledge.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI think the same as you regarding the difficulties of the text we get for this theme. In this theme, to fully understand the text, we need to think more about contextualized perception, meaning that we can't see anything without its context and our historical perception of the object.
I am interested in your statement about culture preserves knowledge and helps its transmission from generation to generation which is essential for the physical and intellectual existence of human beings. I think with the background of this culture is making us know the history or trace back our lineage from the past, but I think by the advance of media technology this culture can slightly change from time to time.
Thanks for your comment. yes I also mean the same that culture can slightly change because of advance technology but it cannot be fully abolished. Even to make things better using technology we still have to use our knowledge that we have from our culture.
ReplyDelete